July 17, 2017
Flash storage is on the rise in the storage industry, and proof of its legitimacy is that every major storage developer now has a flash offering. Flash already has a compelling use case for SaaS companies, and it is only a matter of time before flash storage becomes the go-to storage platform for all businesses in every industry. Before that day comes, IT directors should learn the major players and the distinctions between these brands. Here, we’re going to take a closer look at Pure Storage and discuss two significant advantages of Pure Storage.
The Pure Storage Advantage
- Data Deduplication and Compression: At this point in the development of flash storage, developers must have some form of data deduplication and compression to be taken seriously. It is one of the core strategies to keeping the price per gigabyte low enough to compete with disk storage. Effectively, this will allow you to store more data in less space thereby extending the value of the array. Pure excels in this area and offers one of the best compression rates on the market. On their website, they boast a 5:1 average data deduction rate and a 10.6:1 total reduction if you factor in thin provisioning.
- Evergreen Storage: Forklift upgrades are a nightmare for businesses. It takes days or weeks. It requires some amount of downtime. The whole process is disruptive overall, and Pure Storage avoids this 4-5 year refresh cycle entirely. From a total cost of ownership perspective, Pure Storage offers a stand out support and maintenance plan that they call Evergreen Storage. Evergreen Storage consists of the following:
- 10+ year refresh cycle with opportunities to advance and expand your storage solution along the way.
- A free flash controller upgrade every three years with a renewed maintenance plan.
- Maintenance and support rates stay the same through the life of your equipment
- 30 day return policy
- Forever Maintenance can replace individual parts that may fail due to flash wear or other unexpected issues.
- When expanding capacity, you can earn credits by trading in old controllers to put towards new ones.
Importance of the Free Controller Updates
While it may just be another bullet in the list, the controller update should not go unnoticed. Flash storage works quite differently than hard disk drives. In a hard disk drive, the actual physical construction of the device greatly affects its overall performance. In a flash array, everything is electronic and digital. Therefore, the performance of the device is almost exclusively determined by the quality of the controller. Pure actually builds their arrays using commodity hardware. It is the controller and the software they have developed that makes the hardware into something special. The fact that Pure Storage offers opportunities for free controller upgrades is a fantastic boon.
Like what you read?
Mindsight, a Chicago IT services provider, is an extension of your team. Our culture is built on transparency and trust, and our team is made up of extraordinary people – the kinds of people you would hire. We have one of the largest expert-level engineering teams delivering the full spectrum of IT services and solutions, from cloud to infrastructure, collaboration to contact center. Our highly-certified engineers and process-oriented excellence have certainly been key to our success. But what really sets us apart is our straightforward and honest approach to every conversation, whether it is for an emerging business or global enterprise. Our customers rely on our thought leadership, responsiveness, and dedication to solving their toughest technology challenges.
Contact us at GoMindsight.com.
For Further Reading